Center for Serbian as a Foreign Language is a separate organizational unit within the Department of Philology at the Faculty of Philology and Arts of the University of Kragujevac.
The Center is established with the aim of:
- Promoting Serbian language and culture;
- Improvement of the professional and scientific knowledge about teaching Serbian as a foreign language;
- Internationalization of the Faculty of Philology and Arts and the University of Kragujevac trough development of institutional conditions for attracting more foreign students and teachers
The Centre provides the following services:
- Individual and group courses of Serbian as a foreign language at all levels;
- Certification of proficiency in Serbian as a foreign language;
- Organization of summer schools of Serbian language and culture;
- Preparation of teaching materials and textbooks Serbian as a foreign language;
- The organization of seminars and scientific conferences in the field of studying Serbian as a foreign language.
More information on the activities of the Centre, as well as on the course offer for the academic year 2015/16 will be published soon.
Your 0 - Serbian lesson
Serbian orthography is very consistent: one letter per sound or write as you speak and read as it is written, according to the principle used by Vuk Stefanović Karadžić when reforming the Cyrillic orthography of Serbian in the 19th century.
This simple rule will help you read street names and nameplates around the city, and it will be handy in everyday situations, especially in communication with local people.
Two alphabets are used in Serbian language: the Cyrillic alphabet is in official use and Latin alphabet is almost equal in use.
List of most common words and phrases
If you would like to learn additional words and phrases, as well as lessons for absolute beginners, follow this links:
The Travel Club - Serbian travel phrases
Srpski Bre! - Serbian lessons for absolute beginners